December 22, 2010

something and nothing

I saw this wonderful show that interviewed philosopher and professor Roy Sorenson. Sorenson talked about how nothing, empty spaces, darkness, etc. could in fact be though of as something. Amongst the numerous lovely clips he showed, I particularly liked one from an episode of a show called Night Galleries. The episode entitled "Eyes" [1969] directed by Spielberg stars Joan Crawford. Her character is blind but has--through devious ethical and moral medical means--acquired the ability to see: an ability that will last her a mere 11 hours. But when she opens her eyes vision doesn't quite turn out how she expected...



So much to think about in this clip. There is something about her orange dress which overflows with the expectation of looking... (My internet is hanging and I can't quite see the entire clip... it is as if my vision is just as suspended as Crawford's)

No comments: