December 29, 2010

art and tarkovsky



Stumbled on this video of Tarkovsky all over again when I was searching for a clip of his film Nostalghia (1983). I had started watching the film last year and couldn't continue. Tarkovsky is my favorite film maker, but this last year I have not returned to him. His silences had become loud. In the first sequence in Nostalghia I felt as if all his characters were not just acting, but acting for me specifically, that they would stop acting if I turned the movie off--sort of like the dilemma of the book that will loose its print once it is shut: who can say? I feel like watching the film once again today, but it sits far away in my old room.

Art as a tool to come closer to spiritual enlightenment: it is beautiful and lofty this thought by Tarkovsky. I agree with it, yet move to turn the volume down. Tarkovsky should laugh... (edit) but there is such a comfort in hie seriousness to the artist in me.

No comments: