May 24, 2011

studio may 24 stitching rosebush


I am learning to trim and help my rose bush. The days are bright and sunny. The thorns are scratchy, and the the rose bush may have found its way into my work today. I am tying the unruly branches with twine so that they find support in each other and the wall... I don't know if this is the way it is usually done. I still have a long way to go. I actually have to trim, and lighten the branches...

Also I started to stitch my paper pieces instead of gluing them down to each other. I like the fluidity the thread gives. I think there is some important connection the thread has to textile and even to travel. I recently wrote an artist statement (artist statements are so helpful in clarifying one's ideas.) In it I wrote that in traveling one gathers many residual and absurd bits of things: memories of spoken words or textiles, ticket stubs, wrappers, or single socks. I use my older paper works to collage. There is some connection...


No comments: