June 11, 2013

Every few days my mind turns over and I change my studio practice dramatically. In the past 2 months alone I've worked on pencil line drawings--large and small format--, painting on paper--large and small format--, textile weaving knotting, beading, collaging, writing… I can understand a mind needing it all to come to terms with whatever it is grappling with. These are processes I intuitively sense away and spread over my days. Yet…

… I'm hoping some of these habits will calm. My studio is now clear of all the extras. I feel more open. It is strange but the physical openness has allowed my thinking to stabilize. I don't feel the constant anguish of not working hard enough. I feel more rounded. I can bear the minutes passing by as the paint dries.

Some of the openness and stability also have something to do with the spring weather. The warmth was long in arriving here. It has brought with it a lightness that makes the cold hard to imagine. Almost like it won't return.






No comments: