May 19, 2013

The Good Woman

This is a pretend moment. I am nervous. Last night before sleeping I composed a mental note and failed to jot it down. I was teetering into sleep. Most of my moments are like that nowadays- shared by me and a pretend quietness. (There are many words here I can make a note about: 'moments', 'quietness', 'pretend.')

This is a pretend moment because I have been trying to recreate/recall my note from last night. It eludes me. The sun is finding openings into my home. I barely remember my dream.

I just read "The Good Woman of Setzuan." Seemingly random Readings can eerily speak to a present situation- wisdom finding its way through my pretend. The play by Brecht is about a woman who is given the impossible task of being good by the Gods.
"What rapture, oh, it is to know,
A good thing when you see it
And having seen a good thing, oh,
What rapture 'tis to flee it"
Originally written in German, I read the translation by Eric Bentley. I am not sure if I grasp the correct reading of the verse (and usually I don't care if I do or don't--running primarily on feelings-- but as I am writing about it openly, I must be more thorough…). The Gods sing it as they leave Shen Te (the 'good' woman) assured of her past and future goodness even as she assures them of the contrary. It spoke to me of Irony and abandonment. The cynic turnsed in my heart. But Bertolt isn't cynical; I am at times. I really liked the book and that particular verse.

No comments: